Hey everybody, my name is Cassie. Earlier this summer, my friend and I sat down and wrote out a summer bucket list. Shortly after we did this, I came up with the idea of a blog. So basically, when we complete each activity I'll put up a post including a short description, pictures, and even instructions (if it's a DIY project) in case any of you want to try them out for yourself. I was thinking that by having a weekly post, it would keep us motivated to get through the list. The bucketlist is posted in the right column if you want to check it out Thanks and have a blessed day! xoxo

Saturday, July 21, 2012

#15 String Art

        I'm so excited to share this project with you all! It's called String Art, it's super cute, easy, and fun. Unfortunately, I was not very good about taking pictures as I was making it... but we'll make do. I'll link you to pictures that are already online in case you feel like you need a visual aid to know what I'm talking about. I found out about it through pinterest which led me to this great tutorial right here. So I would definitely check that out for detailed step-by-step instructions. 
     
Materials
White Paint

      1. First you want to paint your cork board white. (I used cork board that was already framed and ready to put up on the wall, in the link I provided earlier she used rolled cork and layered it. Either way works out just fine, whatever you do make sure the board is thick enough for the nails) You are going to need to do a few different coats on the cork because it is absorbent. I did about 3 or 4 coats, but keep in mind that I wanted the board to be completely white and not have a tan-ish tint. If you don't mind the tint, it won't take that many coats.

      2. While your cork is drying, decide if you want to do a shape or a word. You can find the font I used here, but remember you can use ANY font that you want. Just make sure that it is wide enough for the string. Now, blow up the word on the computer to the desired size. (My letters were at font size 1600 and each letter printed out on two to three pages, but of course that depends on the size of your cork board) Cut out the shape or letters that you are using. If you're making a word, don't worry about cutting out the inside of the letters. Although, you should tape each letter together with a little bit of scotch tape.

      3. Now, grab your cork and position your word where you want it, tape it down with a little scotch tape.

      4. Take the Linoleum Nails and outline the letters. (Make sure you don't forget the inside of the letters!) Also, when you are putting them into the cork you don't need a hammer but it will make it a little easier on your fingers if you have one. Just be careful of not pushing in the nails too far. You want every nail to be level with each other.


     5. Slowly and carefully start to remove the letter outline. Make sure you go slowly because some of the nails will come out! Remove any extra tape left over on your cork board and you're ready to start stringing!
This is what mine looked like after I had removed the paper outline.
I didn't get to use all of those colors when I was actually stringing
because I ran out of room... but that's alright!

     6. This was my favorite part, adding the string! Get out your Embroidery Floss and organize it in the way you want the colors to go. Now you can start. Pick a starting point on the first letter, I started at the top left and went from there. Tie a knot around the first nail and start stringing in between the nails. When you're ready to switch colors just tie a knot, grab your next color, pick a starting point near your last end point, and tie a knot. There is no prescribed way 'string' just be creative and remember, you can always unwind and start again!

                                 

                                                                                       




This is the finished project. It was really fun and I think it looks pretty good! I can't wait to hang it up in my room. I apologize for the dents on the cork board, my cat walked on it while I was putting in the pins and by the time I moved her it was too late. So if you have nosy animals, it might be best to keep them out of the room ;) I hope you enjoyed this post, thanks for reading! If you try it out, leave me a comment below.


3 comments:

  1. This is really nifty! Love the colors :)

    keep in touch :)
    -Joyce

    Do you like beauty products?
    We're holding a giveaway @ carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soo cool! I LOVE IT! I might just have to try it myself! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool !
    http://justmylooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete